In order to gain access to STARDUST data, you need to make a request to get an account.
The procedure is detailed below.
Read through the entire process before requesting access.
After you have requested an account and been granted access, you’ll be able to access your virtual machine.
Overview: Timeline and Allocation Duration
To request access, an explanation of how the user is intending to
use the resource is needed.
We evaluate each request to verify that the intended use is compliant with the
purpose of this research infrastructure.
To help provide access to more researchers and allow reasonable resource
allocations among users, we implement a user account expiration policy as
Each new user is granted a period of two months to experiment with the tools and
interact with the available datasets. A user can then request to extend the
allocation for up to four additional months by submitting a renewal request.
In the renewal form we ask users to provide a description of their research
enabled by STARDUST to be published on the stardust.caida.org website.
After expiration (i.e., either after two months without requesting
an extension, or up to 6 months including the extension), we will shelve the
virtual machine and its associated disk and, upon user request, retain the disk
image for one year. Requests for further extensions (or new requests) need to be
made by reapplying for access and—to allow other prospective users in the queue
to receive an allocation—will be processed on a first come, first served basis.
To accommodate different usage patterns, we allow users to temporarily suspend
and resume their VM up to 3 times and for a maximum of 90 days total. The time
during suspension of a VM will not be counted toward the total usage time. To
suspend or resume a VM, a user needs to send us a request by email. The
suspend/resume request usually takes 1-2 business days to be processed.
Steps to request access
To apply to access STARDUST Data:
- Visit the UCSD Network Telescope Traffic Dataset site
and fill out the linked data request form.
- Enter your information and select the datasets you are requesting access to.
- If you are unsure of which datasets you need access to, you can learn more about them:
- Submit your one to two paragraph (around 1000 character) description summarizing your proposed research.
- Read the Acceptable Use Agreement carefully.
- Note that it will usually take five to ten days to process and review your request.
- After your request has been processed and approved, you will receive an email confirming your request.
- The email will provide you a link to the Telescope facilities to access the data. This page is accessible by the username and password provided in the email.
- You will also need to provide additional information such as an IP address or IP address range and a public ssh key.
- Submit your form. It will take four to five business days for your virtual machine (VM) to be configured.
- Once your VM has been configured you will receive another email with your account name and password.
To ask for an allocation extension fill this form
Who can apply?
Academic researchers and US government agencies.
These data must be analyzed on CAIDA machines, and cannot be downloaded!
Acceptable Use Agreement
Policies relating to data use is outlined in the Acceptable Use Agreement.